Tile Hill Kid - Whoberley Hall

Whoberley Hall c1889  

map of Whoberley Hall [approx.Lyndale Road, between Broad Lane and Allesley Old Road] c1889

The greater part of Whoberley lay west of the Horwell stream, and was thus in Stoneleigh parish. The Whoberley estate occupied the part of the parish north of Tile Hill Lane and east of the modern Coventry by-pass. Hearsall Common was continued as Whoberley Common into Stoneleigh beyond Guphill Lane; this lane, also called Whoberley Lane, formed part of the boundary between Coventry and Stoneleigh, across and north of Hearsall Common, and probably took its name from the Gopyls or Gupyls, who held land in Whoberley in the late 13th and 14th centuries. There was a 'wrestling-place' on the parish boundary by 'the heath called Hearsall', in 1581. Five fields called Whoberley fields or Whoberleys lay on the east of Guphill Lane in St. Michael's parish, and were commonable by the citizens of Coventry in the 15th and 16th centuries.) Whoberley was later covered by a modern housing estate and playing fields.

There was a single house there in the 17th century and in 1850 Whoberley Hall was described as 'an ancient house formerly moated round'.

By 1906, however, it had been replaced by one of modern brick and in the Second World War there was an industrial hostel on the site. To the south of Tile Hill Lane the area between it and the railway is occupied by the extensive Standard works. The entire district became part of Coventry as a result of the boundary extensions of 1928 and 1932 in which a large area of Stoneleigh (c. 3,600 a.) was joined to the city.

1881 Census

1851 Census

 

 

Tile Hill Kid - Links
please scroll to click on links below


Tile Hill Kid
Walk of Fame - Stars

Arnold Cottages
Bell Inn, Tile Hill Village
Canley Gates [Railway]
Canley Hill
Connoway Farm
Duggins Lane WW2 Hostel
The Old Smithy, Duggins Lane
Fletchampstead Farm
Fletchampstead Hall
Hearsall Farm
Hereward [Further Education] College
Jardine Crescent
Leigh [CofE] Primary School
Limbrick Farm
Limbrick Wood
Limbrick Wood Primary School
Massey-Ferguson Company
Newlands Pub and Shops
Old Reformatory
Our Lady of the Assumption [Catholic] Primary School
Park Wood
Pig Wood
Plants Hill Wood
Pound, Tile Hill Lane
Rough Close
Standard Motor Company
Standard-Triumph Social Club
Tanyard Farm
Templars School Reunion
Templars School History
The Old Smithy, Duggins Lane
Tile Hill [Further Education] College
Tile Hill Cottages
Tile Hill Farm
Tile Hill Lane
Tile Hill Station [Railway]
Tile Hill Village
Tile Hill Wood
Tile Hill Woodlands Local Nature Reserve
Tile Hill Wood [Girls] Secondary School
Wakefield Cottages
Wakefield Crossing [Railway]
Westwood Vicarage
Whoberley
Whoberley School Reunion
Whoberley School History
Whoberley Hall
Whoberley Villa
Woodlands [Boys] Secondary School

Tile Hill Street Pics
Westcotes 1945 Street Party

Tile Hill photos on Flickr

join Tile Hill Kids on Facebook

Sign Tile Hill Guestbook

View Tile Hill Guestbook


Sign Templars Guestbook

View Templars Guestbook

bookmark for updates:

http://www.gone-butnotforgotten.org.uk/tilehillkid/

copyright 1998
Tile Hill Kid

.Counter
tilehillkid@yahoo.co.uk

All rights reserved.

Please do not copy any of the website without prior permissions. Any commercial use or any use in future publications is prohibited. If you encounter any problems on this website, please email Tile Hill Kid immediately.